Thursday 4 April 2013

BREAKING NEWS! !Fire displaces 5,000 in Ogun community

No fewer than 5,000 people were rendered homeless on Wednesday night folowing a  fire outbreak in Kara, Isheri area of Ogun State, where properties worth several millions were destroyed.
The makeshift structures, opposite the cattle market, popularly called Zaria Estate, were razed, but no live was lost in the incident.
The fire, which eyewitnesses said began around 6.30pm, was said to have been caused by one of the residents, who was preparing a meal.
The fire reportedly caught one of the wooden rooms, and spread through fuels which some of the people stored in containers in their rooms.

Kola Akanmu, a supplier of water and drinks, who said he lost all his sources of livelihood including N100,000 cash said, “We thought we could easily put out the fire. All our effort was abortive as the inferno spread further. If I had known, I would have gone to evacuate my things. I am in deep trouble now because I don’t know what to tell people from whom I just got goods which I am yet to pay for.”
Another lady, simply called Hajia, who sells food, was said to have lost over N300,000 in the fire.
One Garba Yamzani, a resident, who spoke with our correspondent said, “I have lost all my property and goods. I don’t have anything again, except the cloth I am wearing.”
Kehinde Oriola, 37,  who works with the popular DMT  mobile toilet, was one of those who joined in the local effort to put out the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment